Who Can Participate:
Prerequisite—1-2 years of choir experience. This is an introductory and skill building choir.
Open to girls in the 7th to 10th grades.
An audition is required for new members only. Returning members do not need to re-audition. Auditions are held each May for the following year. Limited auditions may be possible in September upon director’s discretion.
How to Audition:
- Sing about 32 bars of a song of choice using good diction, intonation and vocal production. Recommended genres are Broadway, hymns, folk or art songs. Please avoid Pop music. Do provide music for the director and bring a recording to sing with or an accompanist. Please do not ask to sing unaccompanied.
- Sight read a 10 note solfège pattern using hand signals or a 10 note traditionally notated phrase using a neutral syllable.
- Sing a vocal exercise such as a descending major scale on AH.
- Complete a written test on very basic music theory, vocal technique and choir etiquette.
- Learn a short dance routine during the audition, then show proficiency in style, technique and stage presence by performing it at the end of the audition.
Our program is designed to be the length of each school year. For the 2016-2017 school year, rehearsals will be Tuesdays from 4:45-6:15 PM for dance and Thursdays from 5:45-6:45 PM for vocal at the Marjorie Stewart Senior Center, 21907 Southwest Sherwood Boulevard, Sherwood, OR 97140. Notables is an optional free second choir for members held on Thursdays from 4:45-5:45 PM.
Tuition is $550 for this choir for the whole school year. Students will also need to purchase a Choir Polo Shirt (approx. $15) which is the same for all choirs and can be reused each year if properly maintained and if it still fits.
VPA strives to give participants many opportunities to perform. Our Christmas Concert is held in December and our Spring Benefit Concert is held in May. Additional performances are planned for October and February.